Andy is out of town this week, on a consulting project in San Francisco, so I am doing the solo parent gig. Today was my first day ever as a single working mom. It is not easy and I am so blessed to have a husband who is around most of the time to share in the child-rearing. The day started at 3:45 AM with Joshua screaming. This, of course, woke me from my blissful sleep spread out across our queen sized bed (hey, there are some perks to being home alone). I ran in to get Joshua and tried to go back to sleep together on our bed. After an hour of sharing the bed with a rolly-poly toddler, I decided to put him back in his crib and get my extra hour of sleep. He did not like this, and protested, but eventually fell back asleep.
I was super-tired when my alarm clock went off at 6:00am, and turned it off and slept until 6:45. Joshua was still asleep after the middle of the night wakefulness, so I got a chance to take a quick shower and get ready by 7am. I am nothing if not efficient in the mornings, growing up sharing 1 shower with 5 people taught me this. I then had to WAKE JOSHUA UP (gasp) to get to the sitters and work.
Work was uneventful. I have a lot of organizing to do so when I leave my replacement is not lost at sea, and the day passed without incident. After work and picking up Joshua, we came home, had dinner together and played. Bedtime was a little tough because he refused to go into his crib (I set him up with his stuffed animals and blankets on the floor, we will see if he goes to sleep that way). All in all, not too bad of a day, but I am glad I do not have to do it all the time. Kudos to all those parents who do.
*Update.: Joshua was NOT sleeping, he is making a mess of his room. I had to put him in the crib and tough out the crying and beseeching.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
My day as a single working mom
Posted by Laura S at 8:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
sounds crazy!! Anni has been waking up everyday around 4 am too and will not sleep until we allow her to be in our bed- a BAD habit we will soon have to break. praying for a good transition for you from work to home :) Love you!! That new pic of your & joshie for your profile pic is beautiful- too cute!
Post a Comment